Winter is coming! Are your Bloomington used cars ready for blustery, wintry weather? Winter can wreak havoc on an unprepared driver. From drifting snows to freezing temperatures, cold weather is cruel on the exterior and interior of any vehicle. As drivers, we have the responsibility of taking precautions before we get out on the road.
Iced over roads are frightening experiences if you don’t know how to drive on them. Of course, it is always best to stay off the road until they are plowed, but always drive carefully. Protect your Bloomington used cars and your family with these smart winter driving tips:
1. Drive slower and keep several cars distance between you and the car in front of you. This isn’t the time to “push” or tailgate. If the car in front of you slams on brakes, you will need approximately three car lengths to stop in time.
2. Tap on the brakes—never slam on brakes. This will prevent skidding and sliding. Be sensitive of how the wheels “feel” on the road.
3. Always use your car lights, even during the day. Make it easy for other drivers to see you on snow-covered roads.
4. Keep the windshield wiper liquid compartment filled and ready to use.
5. Avoid using the cruise control feature. You need constant control when driving in winter weather. You should also avoid traveling over bridges, when possible. These areas freeze up fast during cold conditions.
6. Stash a winter survival kit in the trunk of the car. This should include a flashlight, blankets, a first aid kit, snacks, and water.
Be safe and smart when traveling this winter season.
Get the Most from Your Car with Car Care Tips
After making a car investment, protect the vehicle with good car care. Today, more than ever, it is crucial that people get the most out of their money, especially when it comes to used cars. Bloomington IN drivers can extend the life of their cars by using the following tips. Not only will you extend the life of your car, but you will enjoy a vehicle that operates at premium levels.
1. Choose a mechanic before you need him or her. Have that contact information ready so you won’t have to scramble to find a mechanic when you need one.
2. Learn how to check your own oil. Did you know that every 1000 miles you may need up to a quart of oil? Always keep oil on hand to add whenever you need it.
3. Change the oil every three months. Old oil can do more harm than good, so change it on time. Besides changing the oil, change the oil filter, as well.
4. Keep fluid levels full. That includes antifreeze, water, power steering, and transmission fluids.
5. Service the cooling system every spring. It only takes a minute to add coolant or check the charge on a compressor. Keep the cooling system running smoothly and catch problems before they get worse.
6. Check the tires frequently. Know what the recommended PSI is for your car and stick to it. Keeping tires at the correct air levels will reduce wear and keep you safe.
Consider maintenance an investment in the life of your used car. Bloomington IN drivers can easily extend the life of their cars with basic maintenance.